Tuesday 6 January 2015

Rome (Marked Men #3) by Jay Crownover - Review









Cora Lewis is a whole lot of fun, and she knows how to keep her tattooed bad boy friends in line. But all that flash and sass hide the fact that she's never gotten over the way her first love broke her heart. Now she has to plan to make sure that never happens again: She's only going to fall in love with someone perfect.

Rome Archer is as far from perfect as a man can be. He's stubborn and rigid, he's bossy and has come back from his final tour of duty fundamentally broken. Rome's used to filling a role: big brother, doting son, super soldier; and now none of these fit anymore. Now he's just a man trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life while keeping the demons of war and loss at bay. He would have been glad to suffer i alone, until Cora comes sweeping into his life and becomes the only color on his bleak horizon.

Perfect isn't on the cards for these two, but imperfect might just last forever.

This book is by far my favorite of the series. I loved Cora, loved Rome - loved everything there is that makes this book so freaking good! The book starts at a family barbecue on the 4th July; Rome is acting surly and lowering the mood of the get together. Cora, loving her friends dearly, takes matters into her own hands and calls Rome out on his behavior. She then proceeds to pour her can of beer over his head. Thus begins the start of this fiery relationship.

I loved the banter and humor in this book - the cute little nicknames they had for each other were adorable and endearing. I found I could relate to Cora more than the previous heroines (Shaw and Ayden); she wasn't afraid to speak her mind. and was slightly rude and brash. The previous heroines had a certain re-fineness that I just couldn't relate to.

I absolutely adored Rome; the way he never wavered in his feelings towards Cora, regardless of her hesitation and his hurt, just made me love him even more. I love a tattooed bad boy, don't get me wrong, but Rome's dependability and support towards Cora was not only admirable, but a welcome change. Yes, I know he had a little wobble but he had his reasons for it. And also the way he took charge with his nightmares and possibly having PTSD was again admirable. I could definitely see home Rome was a soldier. 

What a book to start the New Year off with! I seriously recommend reading this entire series. I just have to wait (impatiently I might add) for April when Asa and Royal's book comes out. April can't come quick enough. Oh, and here's to hoping that Sayer and Seb get their own book - it sure looks like it's heading that way.

Favourite Quotes:

"There was nothing quite like being put in the friend zone by your pregnant girlfriend."

"Look at our baby... I passed out a few hours ago and rolled over on my stomach, which sucks when you aren't there to act as a pillow, by the way, when this woke me up. I've never had a belly in my life and now I do and there is a supersmall person in there. It's unbelievable."





Links:

Amazon US
Amazon Uk
Goodreads







No comments:

Post a Comment